Demonstrate Meaningful Use
(Meaningful Use data is entered at Step 3 in the NM State Level Registry)
On October 16, 2015, CMS published in the Federal Register the new Final Rule: CMS EHR Incentive Program Stage 3 and Modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 through 2017. This one Final Rule addresses the two separate notices of proposed rulemaking (NPRMs) that were advertised for public comment in the Spring of 2015. There are some changes from what was proposed and what has been finalized.
When can I attest for Program Year 2016?
The New Mexico State Level Registry will open for Program Year 2016 AIU and MU attestations as follows:
- Eligible Professionals (EPs): January 25, 2017
- Eligible Hospitals (EHs): January 25, 2017
The last day that an EP or EH can submit a Program Year 2016 attestation is April 30, 2017.
What’s Notable for Program Year 2016?
- PY 2016 is the final year that an EP or EH can attest for the first time in the program.
- EPs who are scheduled to be in Stage 1 in PY 2016 will have different requirements from EPs scheduled to be in Stage 2 for only one of the ten objectives, the Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE) Objective.
- For the Secure Electronic Messaging Objective, the measure is changed from a yes/no measure to a numerator/denominator measure for all EPs attesting to Meaningful Use.
- For all EPs attesting to Meaningful Use, they may select an EHR Reporting Period of any continuous 90-day period from January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016.
- All EPs attesting to Meaningful Use must be in Active Engagement for two of the three measures of the Public Health Reporting Objective.
- All EPs must attest to objectives and measures using EHR technology certified to the 2014 Edition or the 2015 Edition, or a combination of the two.
What should I attach when I attest for Program Year 2016?
Step 2: Practice Management Report (PMR) for Patient Volume (AIU and MU)
Step 3: EHR Certification Screen: Screenshot of CMS EHR Certification ID (AIU and MU)
Step 3-EHR Certification Screen: Vendor Documentation for 2014 or 2015 Edition Certified EHR Technology (CEHRT) - (AIU and MU)
Step 3- EHR Reporting Period Screen: CEHRT Meaningful Use Summary Report (MU Only)
Step 3-Protect Patient Health Information screen: A complete copy of Security Risk Analysis conducted for PY-2016 (MU Only)
Step 3-Public Health Reporting Screen(s): New Mexico Department of Health or Specialized Registry documentation (not needed for measures where an exclusion is taken) (MU Only)
For More Information about Program Year 2016:
Link into the 2016 Program Requirements page on the CMS EHR website to access tipsheets and other materials. These can be found in the Requirements for EHR Incentives Programs in 2016 Resources section on the bottom of the page.
Link into the Final Rule: CMS EHR Incentive Program Stage 3 and Modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 through 2017.
Use the CMS information to ensure you will be able to meet the Meaningful Use Objectives and Measures for Program Year 2016.
Attend NM Medicaid EHR Incentive Program webinars. Watch for email updates and webinar invitations. If you would like to be added to the email list, please email your contact information to Benjamin Rogers at Benjamin.email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, email address, phone number and practice name.
Access Webinar Materials for Program Year 2016
- Meaningful Use Spotlight: Protect Patient Health Information/Security Risk Analysis (SRA)— How to Conduct a Security Risk Analysis that Complies with Meaningful Use.
- Meaningful Use Spotlight: Program Year 2015: Public Health Reporting Objective & Supporting Documentation.
Program Year 2014: